Monday, March 24, 2008

New experimental LIVESET up. First of many.

Listen to the track titled LIVESET at 01recordings.com.

This is a new experimental way of recording I am going to try a few song with. One day, one take, a few tracks, and one quick mixing session.

For this song “White Wash”, I came up with the simple 6 chord progression and was ready to record and hour later. I decided to drop it into an acoustic version at the last min. I did one take each of the 4 tracks in about 30 mins. One acoustic rhythm guitar and one lead guitar take. I pulled up one of my favorite Reactor synth patches I had created called “Rusted pipe”. To me it sounds like an old pipe with a sound resonating through which crystallizes at the end. Then finally I found a sample of someone hitting a piece of metal. I took that and applied a bunch of trashy, bit-reducing filters to give is a strange sound and triggered it though Ableton Live.

With those pieces ready to record I did one take on each one of them, mistakes and all were kept. I did about two hours of mixing and adding a few effects like verb and delay back into the acoustic.

And that’s it. My first “improved” LIVESET.

No comments: